Sunday, August 18, 2019

Houston Hot



It's that time of year again. My car often tells me I should have stayed inside and never ventured out. Centerpoint Energy phoned yesterday to ask us to use as little energy as possible. Less A/C, turn off lights, less cooking, etc.

I'm all for the don't cook in the kitchen part.

It's too hot to think of  preparing food. The only thing cooking around here is me. Somebody stick a fork in me. I'm done. Get me out of this intense heat.

A three digit temperature in Houston with our humidity can make one sick. 

I can't imagine people out in this weather, but many get out there and participate in outdoor activities.

I think they're crazy.

As I leave for church in a few minutes, I'll pass the golf course. Those golfers don't mind the heat as they chase that tiny ball around the course. I recently had one of the golfers explain to me that he couldn't come to church. The heat bothered him. Seriously?

I always dread August down here. These are the days I wish I had oodles of money and could spend six months in another location.

Of course, everything is relative. While traveling recently, I met a man coming to Houston from Iraq.  I said to him, "It's hot in your country, too." He said, "Yes, I come to Houston to cool off."

When my son-in-law served our country with the Army in Iraq, he  described the unbearable heat over there as,"Hades." He later was stationed in San Antonio. While on the River Walk on an August night, he found himself praying to go back to Iraq.  He was kidding, of course, but the Texas heat is definitely unbearable.  Our August weather makes us realize Hell is the place to stay out of.

And that brings me to a close.  The only way to the cool, place, heaven, is to admit you are a sinner and ask Jesus to forgive. 

Do you have your place in heaven established?

I do. No temperature gages needed there. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas