Sunday, April 28, 2019

On The Way to Makeover


I mentioned in my last blog that I planned to get a hair cut and start a weight loss plan.

The hair is now 4 inches shorter. Yea!  Here's a picture. It's still the same style. It's too easy to do, I merely wash, clip it back and go. Most of the time I don't blow dry it, so I run around doing errands while it naturally dries.


So, as you can see, the hair is still long. It was almost waist length. I don't like it to get that long, but taking time out can be a challenge.

So...........got the hair done.

But the scale hasn't changed.


I did a bit of research. In 2018, the average American women stood about 5 feet and 3 inches tall. The average weight was 168.5.  Back in 1960, the typical weight was 140.2 pounds.

Females are getting a bit taller and definitely heavier as the years go by.

I'm 2 inches taller than the average female. My mom was 5'4" and my sister is 5'3." I wanted to be 5'4" like my mom, but I stand at 5'5."  Our three daughters stretch to make 5 feet. I've alway felt like the Amazon woman in my family.

We can't do much about our tallness or shortness. Heels make us taller, and so does good posture. Slumping might make us appear shorter, but then it also makes us look unkept. A loss of weight wil give the illusion of height, and a gain of pounds makes one appear shorter. I doubt many femals want to gain weight to appear short. I know I don't. Since we can't do much about height, let's work on other things like weight.

There are several things we can do about that sticky scale situation.

But it's hard.I've walked between one and two miles almost every day. I think I missed one day. I ate less one or two days. I guess I made up for the less the next day. GRRRR.









Sarah helps Valerie with a makeover. In this book, Sarah, the angel who adopts a female, human form, finds it difficult to do the healthy routine, and the chaos she causes is too funny.

Here's an excerpt from Sarah and the Angelic, Magical, Makeover


Sarah twirled her fingers in the air, rang Valerie’s number and waited.

“Hello?”

“Hi, my name is Oceana Waters. I just saw your ad on line and I’d like to apply.”

“Wow, that was quick.”

“I know, right? Internet gives instant access.” Sarah hoped her answer was satisfactory and accurate.

“I’m Valerie Townsend. Before I tell you about me, would you tell me about you?”

“Sure. I just arrived in Katy. I’m looking for a job and a place to live.” Sarah giggled. “Thought I’d try for a place to light first. That’s when I noticed your ad.”

“You’re single? Pets?”

“I’m unmarried and have no pets.”

“I hate to be blunt, but if you have no job, how can you afford your share of the rent and utilities?”

“My Father is providing for me at the moment, but I hope to soon have a job and then I can pay my own way, but I’ll always have Him to call upon.”

“I know how that is. Do you have transportation?”

Sarah gulped. “I don’t have a car. I flew in, and in fact, I don’t know how to drive. Are there services for people like me in this area?”

“Yes, rides are common but expensive. Maybe after you find a job, you can purchase a vehicle and learn to drive.”

Sarah’s heart plummeted. Learn to operate a vehicle? Oh my sweet stars in the Universe! She was a disaster in a car. “Maybe so.”

“What else can you tell me about yourself?” Valerie held the phone to her ear as she made notes during the conversation.
Wouldn’t it be comical if the woman could see through the ceiling to the roof? She’d see an angel watching her conduct this interview. Nope, not a good idea. Probably scare the willies out of Valerie.

Sarah inhaled before answering. “I’m thirty years old, short and on the heavy-set side. I’ve been in Katy before, but I’m always lost, and I’ve worked as a wedding consultant in times past. I’m not sure what I’ll do this time while I’m here. Whatever I can find, I guess.”

“We are the same age, and I’m a bit overweight too. I’m an elementary school teacher—been teaching first grade since I graduated college.”

“Good for you. I love kids, but they sort of scare me. They seem to see more of me than I want them to.”

****
After finding a booth, Sarah handed Valerie a folder. “Here are my references, and if you need more, let me know. Have you had others answer your ad?”

Valerie set them aside. “Thanks. Yes, two more ladies responded, but I’m meeting you first.” She grinned. “I liked your name. It’s pretty cool.”

Sarah smiled as if she’d been complimented by the Commander. “Thanks. I think it’s unique too, but I’ve been teased about my size. Some joker invariably says to me, ‘your name fits. You’re as big as a whale from the ocean.’”

Valerie clucked her tongue. “I have taunts about my bulk too. Sad that people think they need to comment on looks. Not everyone can be thin, gorgeous super models.”

“Some people are gifted with a good metabolism, and it never matters what they eat.”

“Not me.” Valerie emitted an audible sigh. “I’ve been chubby since birth.”

“Really? I haven’t always been this size. In fact, it’s new to me. I’ve put on a few pounds lately.”

A server appeared. “Hello ladies. Have you had a chance to study the menu? We keep them tucked over there next to the napkins.” She gestured toward the items as she spoke.

Valerie glanced up at the waitress. “No need for one. I’m going to have my usual. Cheeseburger, double order of fries, and chocolate malt.”

Sarah lifted her brows. “Those are my favorites. I’ll have the same.”

Valerie beamed as if she’d won the lotto. “We have a lot in common.”

Sarah nodded. “I’ll focus on healthy stuff one of these days—just not today.”

“Always tomorrow? Right?”

Sarah toasted the statement by raising a water glass and touching it to Valerie’s. “Right. Here’s to tomorrow.” 

****


Do you expect me to do all the cooking and cleaning if I’m your roomie?”

“We’ll each clean our own rooms and take turns with the common areas, but I do expect your personal spaces to be spotless and orderly. I don’t know about cooking. I suppose we could do it together if you like.”

“Maybe you could teach me how. I don’t know much about preparing meals, in fact I know nothing. My Father has always had a chef.”

“Your father must be a wealthy man.”

“Oh He is. He owns cattle on a thousand hills.”

“He’s a rancher?”

“No. He merely owns cattle and other things.”

“Does he work?”

“Oh my yes. He’s always busy keeping up with people, events, and fashioning things. He’s got His eye on sparrows as well as a whole kit and caboodle of stuff.”

“He loves birds?”

“He loves all creatures.”

“He sounds industrious and someone I’d like to know.”

Sarah nodded. “He’d welcome you. Tell me about your parents.”

Stay tuned. Are you with me? Are you wanting a makeover? Let's see what Sarah and Valerie do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas