Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Watch Me on YouTube


As most of you know, our daughter lives in an assisted living and suffers from early onset dementia. You'll find a topic on Dementia at the top of my blog.

Because of isolation, I can't go inside the facility, and our daughter begs to see me. I thought about reading a portion of one of my books to her, I thought that would help, so I contacted my publisher. Pelican Book Group owns the video rights, and I needed permission. The publisher gave authorization. I read portions of a book for a few minutes and the publisher posted on our YouTube channel.

The facility administrator showed the presentation to our daughter. It confused her. She thought I was in the room and wanted to hug and talk to me.

Dementia is a sad, cruel disease. So is this quarantine for people in facilities.  I wrote President Trump with complaints and suggestions, but I've heard no response. Residents in these facilities need an advocate.  I'll share the letter in a future post.

Here's my YouTube video.  I hope you'll watch and leave a comment.  I didn't dress up for the occasion. I was sad, but  I made myself do it. I did it in one take. As I look back at it, I should have redone it.  But it's out there. 

Please say hello.


2 comments:

  1. Dementia is terrible. It was difficult seeing my Dad suffer through it, and I cannot imagine the pain of having a child attacked by it. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlene. Even though it's not easy to watch an older person suffer with that dreaded disease, an older person has had a fuller life. Our daughter is missing so much. Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry about your father.

      Delete

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas