Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Treadmills. Do You Like Them?


I'm gonna buy another one. Do I want to? NOOOOOOO, I don't!! I hate getting on the thing. I usually go to the gym and select one in the lineup. When I forget my earbuds, I'm forced to read the closed captions on the TV.  If I remember the earbuds, I can listen to an audio book. The TV or book makes the walk go down easier. The trip to the gym is an hour round trip from my house, not counting the time on the hated gadget. Sigh. If I have one at home, maybe I'll use it daily and have time for other, pleasurable things. Maybe. That's the plan, anyway.

In my next Sarah book, my little dyslexic angel helps a human with a makeover. Sarah and Valerie join a gym to help with weight control and physical well being. Like me, Sarah finds the equipment torturous. If you've read any of my Sarah books, you know she's gonna cause accidents in the gym. Unexplained, funny, chaos.

At the end of the book, Sarah accomplishes her mission. Valerie, the earthling, becomes confident and healthy, both physically and mentally. Right choices do that for us.

Wouldn't it be lovely if an angel came down to help us with doubt? Or our weight? Or the myriad of problems we face?

Truth be told, sometimes they do.

I'm studying the book of Exodus. In chapter 23:20, God tells the Israelites that He's sending an angel ahead of them to guard them along the way and to bring them to the place He'd prepared for them.

I know God didn't send Sarah. She would have kept them lost. Sarah can't find her way, even with a map. She sometimes flies up when she means to float down.

Even with God's help and the angel's direction, the wandering, freed, Egyptian slaves acted obstinate at times. Rebellion seemed to be in their DNA. 



And we in our modern day are no different. We're stubborn folks, similar to the proverbial donkey. We don't always do what is good for us. Like the treadmill or healthy eating. We break those Ten Commandments too.

So is there hope for us? When life is hard and we have stuff we don't want to deal with? What about when we fail? Or the times we bury our head in the sand and procrastinate?

Put one step in front of the other and return to the treadmill of life. If you fall off, get back on. Is it fun to do the difficult? Nope. Not at all.


But we can do this! 


At the end of the challenge, we'll find a rainbow. When the blood work reveals better numbers, and the scale shows a reduction in weight, we'll be happy we stayed on task.



No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas