Another one
of my little demons, Foody Floyd, got to me again. The scale reported a loss of
five pounds. Yay! This made me happy. Until Foody Floyd showed up.
He said, “Good
for you. Now you can eat those almond Bisciotti’s I’ve been tempting you
with. Those are some real bad cravings I
gave you, right? A loss of weight means you are free to have those yummy goodies.
I looked at the package. Three cookies had 140 calories. Hmm. “Well,” I
thought. “I’ll just have three.”
Foody Floyd grinned as I relished my three. “Oh, come
one. Three more won’t hurt. That’s only 280 calories. You won’t gain any weight
with that amount.”
I shrugged my shoulders as I listened to him. I
decided to have three more and then put the cookies back in their hiding place.
Foody Floyd kept saying, “Just three more.”
When the package came up empty in my greedy little
fingers, I sighed. I had no desire to add up the number of calories in the entire
package.
I felt sad and guilty, but Foody Floyd was a happy
little devil.
I’ve met a few people who don’t enjoy eating, but I’m
not one of them. In my Sarah books, my little bumbling angel is always hungry.
She can eat anything and everything she wants. She also can change her size at
will. Sarah loves hamburgers. She often assumes a human disguise when she goes
into a restaurant to eat. That’s where she always makes mistakes. She can’t get
human disguises right.
Here’s an excerpt from Sarah and a Texas Trilogy. The
couple she is trying to help saw her in a restaurant.
Jeremy’s
laugh sounded just as raucous to Sarah as Karen’s had. “Did you see her wobble
out of the restroom? And then did you
see the stunned expression on that heavy-set man when she hit the floor and
skidded into him with both legs up in the air? It’s a wonder she didn’t knock
him over.”
“He
helped her up, but she couldn’t stand straight.” Karen could hardly talk for laughing so hard.
“When she tried to walk away from him, she fell again.” Karen wiped her
eyes. “I shouldn’t laugh. I know those
shoes are a challenge, and I’m not laughing because she fell. The look of horror on her face was just so
funny.”
“Wonder
why she wore a cowboy hat on top of that wild hair?” Jeremy burst into a new
fit of mirth.
“Who
knows? Maybe she thought Texans wore
such things in the country. When she finally got to her booth and ordered a
burger, I detected a northern accent.
Perhaps she’s new to the area and trying to dress like the natives.
Maybe she didn’t know that men out here usually wear those hats and women
don’t—unless they work on a ranch.”
“Yeah,
I guess so. She’d never have made it to the booth if she hadn’t carried those
shoes in her hand and gone barefooted.
I’ll never forget that sight. Big
blonde hair sticking out in all directions, cowboy hat balanced hazardously on
top of her head, tight jeans, a western shirt and red stilettos she couldn’t
walk in.”
“Boots
would have been the logical choice.” Karen shook her head as if she couldn’t
believe what she remembered.
“That
lady didn’t appear to be too logical.” Jeremy laughed again.
With
each word, Sarah scrunched down a little farther in the seat. How embarrassing! Poopty doopty! If only she hadn’t been hungry. Needing to eat prompted the necessity for a
disguise, and obviously, she hadn’t chosen well.

No comments:
Post a Comment