Thursday, May 25, 2023

Nearly Normal

 

Nearly Normal

What is that anyway?

 The Circumstances ordinary for me might be odd to you. On the other hand, situations usual for you might be eccentric to me. Take snowflakes as an example. Each one is similar but unique. So, each flake is normal to its species.



My three daughters gave me a key chain years ago. It read, “Nearly Normal.”  Eons later, one of those daughters gave me the mug you see pictured. She added the "We love you anyway!" She’s also given me an expensive charm bracelet with a disc engraved with those same words.

Like a flakey little piece of snow, I suppose I am uncommon in a few ways. Not many, mind you, just a few.

I gave myself a surprise party. That’s when I received the first gift, the key chain,

Yep! You read that right. I gave a surprise birthday party for myself. Well, who else does such a thing? Someone who is nearly, almost, completely normal—that’s who.

I bought my presents and had them professionally wrapped. I designed my birthday cake. It resembled a wedding tier, and I had it iced with cream cheese frosting tinted a salmon color. The cake was beautiful. I invited friends to meet me in San Antonio for my surprise party.

After I arrived at the hotel on the River Walk, I decorated my room with streamers, signs, balloons, cake, goodies, and displayed the gifts I had bought. When the room was ready, I invited the group inside. When they opened the door, I yelled, “Surprise!”  Then I sang Happy Birthday to myself.

Among the gifts friends and family brought was the key chain. “Nearly Normal.” I still have it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas