Sunday, May 28, 2023

Memorial Day 2023

Mr. Tom Moore

I think of Mr. Moore on Memorial Day. He didn't die in WWII, but he was a Prisoner of War in a German camp. When he returned home, he married and had a family, but he couldn't sleep with his wife. His nightmares were too vivid. He thrased about in his sleep and without knowing it, he could have hurt her.

He didn't talk much about his experiences, but he went to the the VA in Houston each Wednesday to meet with fellow veterans who had suffered similar horrific circumstances.

He attended my Bible study.  As we discussed the Israelite wilderness wanderings, I said "the Hebrews grew tired of manna." He commented, "When you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything."  As a POW, he found this to be true.


My mom and dad
(You now know where I inherited my white hair)

My dad served in WWII. He was a sergeant who, along with others, stormed the Normandy beaches. He fought in France and had to be transported to a hospital in England before returning home.

Like Mr. Moore, he never spoke of his war incidents. He didn't sleep well and would be up all hours.  He never met with other veterans, but I think such gatherings were beneficial to Mr. Moore. 

These two men came home to live with their war memories, but others from numerous deployments haven't. Since WWII, America has had various conflicts. Men and women buried at national cemeteries number too many.

Arlington National Cemetery

On this Memorial Day weekend, please pause to remember the sacrifices. 


Joey Jones, retired Marine

Joey Jones, a retired Marine, served in two deployments. Joey wears prosthetic legs after he stepped on an explosive device in Afghanistan. I heard him say something like this. “When people thank me for my service, I respond with, ‘thank you for being in a country worth serving.’”

Numerous men and women who serve or served in our armed forces feel that way.  We are a blessed nation.


Gay and her flag

All who stayed at home and supported the men and women at the front lines have sacrificed also.

On this day, let us remember our military. The  ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice, and the ones who came home, but continue to suffer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas