Monday, November 1, 2021

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena, oops, I mean from India!

 

I had an unusual experience at the grocery store today. A lot of weird stuff happens to me, so I’ve learned to take most of the incidents in stride. Here’s another one.

As I unloaded my grocery cart and placed sacks into the backseat of my car, a little old lady from India appeared from nowhere.

Oh, I know, she was from somewhere, but I didn’t see her approach. So, she surprised me, and as far as I knew, she came from somewhere…like nowhere.

She made me think of my little angel, Sarah. The angel I write about in my fantasy novels. Sarah is always popping up to astonish someone. She can assume any disguise and can speak with any accent she chooses.  She has made several appearances on earth as a little old lady named Estella, but she arrived as an American and spoke English.

This tiny, old lady dressed in traditional attire from India spoke in broken English. She said, “How many rolls of toilet paper did you buy?”

My eyebrows shot up. Where did you come from, and why are you asking about my toilet tissue? I looked around. She had no shopping cart with her, and no one was nearby. Just this small lady wrapped in a Sari with traditional headgear.

She held in her hands a plastic see-through coin purse full of nickels and pennies.

She spoke again. “How many rolls of toilet paper did you buy?”

I replied, “I beg your pardon?”

“How many rolls of toilet paper did you buy?”

“I don’t know. Why?” 

“I see three packages.” She pointed to my bags inside my car and opened her coin purse.

“I’m not selling any.” I responded.

She smiled. “If you go back inside, they will give you one for free.”

Yesterday was Halloween. What sort of trick was this lady playing?

Once more, I’m looking around. What’s next? A black cat jeering at me?

I replied, “Thanks, that’s nice to know.” I closed my rear passenger door and prepared to get into the driver’s seat.

“Go inside and get one for free.”

I nodded. “Thanks for the information.”

I closed my door. As fast as a cheetah, I examined the interior of my car. Nothing appeared out of place.

I watched the lady amble off toward another row of cars.

I drove away with my three rolls of tissue.

You'll find Sarah on Amazon and all online booksellers.

                            ON AMAZON


No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas