Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The Green-Eyed Monster

 

 


A few weeks ago, I was hired by a company to telephone their clients and remind them of an upcoming event.  These days, many of us work from home, and I discovered that if a person doesn't recognize the name or the number displayed on their device, they often don't answer the phone, so I leave messages.

I called a Bill Fiserdelley. (Not a real name. I can’t tell you who it really was). Anyway, Bill didn’t answer, so I left a message and continued with my phone calls.

About ten minutes later, my phone rang. I didn’t recognize the displayed number, but since I’m phoning people I don’t know, I thought it best to answer. It might be one of the clients calling back to ask a question. Many do.

It was ole Bill’s wife on the phone. I suppose she had listened to the message and heard my female voice. Perhaps she’d noted a lady's name on the caller ID. She rang me back. The conversation went something like this:

Wife:  "Did you just now call Bill?" (Her tone sounded irate.)

Me:  (His name didn't immediately come to mind, but being the quick mind that I am, I replied) "Yes, I'm calling to make sure he knows about our event coming up in San Diego. He attended last year, and we hope he can attend again this year."

Wife:  "Oh."

Me:  "Did he get our company email?"

Wife: "Maybe. Would you resend it?"

Me:  Certainly, I’ll be happy to send it to you.” I ended the phone call.

She must be one curious wife.

On the other hand, she might be a jealous, suspicious spouse.

Living with Jealousy can’t be fun or productive.

Perhaps ole Bill gave his wife a reason to be green-eyed. If so, that’s sad, too.

Maybe she’s trying to trust her husband after an infidelity. I’ve known several wives who’ve experienced unfaithful husbands and now have a healthy, happy marriage.

Was it easy for them?

Absolutely not!

Learning to trust a mate again after a betrayal is a day-to-day occurrence.

If the husband is faithful, and the wife is merely jealous because she chooses to be, then that’s a miserable situation also.  It’s not healthy. Suspicion doesn’t build a strong marriage.

Jealousy can exist in other relationships besides marriage. I’ve seen co-workers with the green-eyed monster. Children are often jealous of each other in the classroom—even after adulthood, siblings continue to envy each other . Wherever people gather, jealousy can materialize.

What Is Jealousy?

Anyone can experience a stab of this emotion. A person may perceive an individual as a threat in a marriage, workplace, or family situation.

Anger and depression usually accompany jealousy. Severe jealousy can lead to physical violence.

What to do about that awful, possessive feeling?

My suggestion is to talk freely about it with someone you trust. Sometimes a friend can help, but more often than not, a trained therapist is whom you should seek.

And don’t forget to tell your anxieties to the Lord! He understands.  After all, He tells us He is a jealous God.

“You shall not bow down to them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God.”  Exodus 20:5.

God is perfect, and His jealousy is not a sin. He expects us to love and worship Him, and He does not want us to worship anything or anyone other than Him.

Even though our jealousy is sin, and God’s isn’t, God understands it! Isn’t He amazing? Ask Him to forgive you of your jealousy, and then talk to a therapist. Throw that negative emotion away and never invite it back into your life. It destroys relationships and makes you miserable.

                               Faith and Humor

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas