Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Church Talk


Lawyers speak legalese.

Preachers speak mumbo-jumbo.

Neither language makes sense to the most people.

I heard someone say to another the other day, "Hate the sin but love the sinner."

That sounds nice, I guess, but did the unchurched listener understand it? Maybe, and maybe not. The listener was speaking about a subject she didn't consider sin.  The speaker thought the subject matter sin.  Oh mercy me.

What's the best way to respond these days in our political correct world? Is it possible to discuss without a cuss?

I once had a wordy professor in my college creative writing class. I turned in an assignment, and she returned it with a bunch of extra words. The additional phrases made the story unreadable. She later told me, "I've never been published. I write too much."

Right, so why ruin my paper with unnecessary gobbledygook?

Writers make more sense when we write the way we talk.

I think we'd make more sense as lawyers and pastors to speak in every day language.  

The Apostle Paul had something to say about such things to the Corinthians. 

I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind, that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue. I Cor: 14:18-19 NASB.






No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas