My Apple Watch caused a sensation in my neighborhood today.
It alerted the police about my need for help.
My husband’s Silverado allows a person to sit in the middle
section when the console is lifted. Like the passenger’s side, it has a seat belt.
No should harness. Just a belt.
When we left church today, I slipped into the passenger side
and fastened my seatbelt. When I wanted to get out of the truck, I discovered I couldn’t unlock my
belt. I tried and tried. Nada. Nothing. Unknown to me, or hubby, I had fastened
my belt into the wrong lock. The console was in place, but the middle seat lock
was handy, and I accidentally used it.
When I discovered I couldn’t loosen myself. I
said to Paul, “You’ve got to help me get out of this thing. I’m trapped.” He
came around to my side but couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me sitting there.
I said, “Lift up the belts, and maybe I can slip through
them.” These belts provided a narrow slit. I said, “I hope I can get through
them. This isn’t a big opening.” But after a lot of laughter, plus trial and
error, I managed to tumble through them. I left the garage. He had to figure
out the debacle by himself. I’m not good at tech or engineering stuff.
After I disappeared into the house, Paul figured out I had
snapped my belt into the wrong latch.
As usual on a Sunday afternoon, I went shopping on the
computer, and he made his way to the living room to watch a football game.
Suddenly, he came to my desk and exclaimed, “An officer is coming
to our door.”
“What?” I asked, jumping up.
He replied, “An officer is walking up the driveway.”
We both hurried to the front windows to peer outside. The
police vehicle remained in front of our house, but we didn’t see the officer. Paul
said, “The car is still here, but where is he?”
Evidently, he was inspecting the closed garage. After a few
minutes, he came to our front door and rang the bell. I opened the door. “We
got a call about someone needing help.” He calmly said.
I invited him inside and replied, “This is a funny story.
(At least I hoped he thought it would be funny) When we got home, I couldn’t
get out of my husband’s truck. I was stuck in my seatbelt and asked my husband
for help. I guess my Apple Watch heard me and thought I was in trouble. I didn’t
know it alerted you.”
He could see all was well, and he left.
I wish I had asked what my watch said to whoever answered
the 9-1-1 call.
This episode is both scary and wonderful. I’m happy to know
my watch will alert authorities if I need them. That’s great! It is also creepy to know the watch on my
wrist hears my conversations and reports them. And who else does it talk to?

No comments:
Post a Comment