Tuesday, January 9, 2024

A Healthy New Year

 



 During the pandemic, the average weight gain for Americans was fifteen pounds. Whoa Nellie! That’s a lot in a short period of time.

The Bible doesn’t talk much about one’s poundage, but Dr. Luke in the New Testament talks about a guy names Zacchaeus. Luke describes him as a short man who climbed a sycamore-fig tree so he could see Jesus. (Luke 19).

In Matthew, chapter 6, Jesus tells us not to worry about what we will eat, drink or wear. However, in this passage, Jesus isn’t giving a diet for food. He’s telling us not to worry.

People did a lot of walking back in Jesus' day. It was the main means of transportation. I doubt many in that era faced the amount of pounds we do today.

But back to fat, unhealthy obesity.  That’s a concern as we start a New Year.

If your goal this year is to become healthier, here are a few suggestions a few friends offered.

I asked a friend how she had lost weight. She responded, “One bite at a time.”  Another one said, “I leave food on my plate.” The third person said, “I never go back for seconds.”

Leave a bite of each food item on the plate, If you have three items, leave three bites and never go back for seconds. This plan simply calls for cutting back on foods you normally eat and enjoy.

This sounds like a good plan to me, and I am going to try it. I gained ten pounds in the last ten months. Why? Probably stress. I like food, and it matters not as to my mental outlook.  I eat when I'm mad, unhappy, glad, depressed, sick, worried...and so on.

Let's strive for health.

And remember: the most important health element is our spiritual health.


 


·         So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10:31

 Gay's Author Page

 A Video of Gay Teaching A Bible Study

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas