Friday, September 1, 2017

The 17 Mile Drive, Carmel and Monterrey


Good morning from Houston.

We are cleaning up after Harvey moved to the east, and now those poor folks are experiencing his devastation. We haven't been able to leave our neighborhood yet, but we hope to later in the day. I'm eager to see a grocery store and spend money in one.

Now back to the memory of our California trip.

I had blogged up to Day 7, so now I'll tell you about Night 7.

We left the General Sherman tree in Sequoia National Park and headed to Monterrey. We arrived at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Carole and Richard Steer had invited us to their room for hors d'oeuvres before dinner. 

Richard and Carole Steer

Carole had bought cheese at a snack shop  and we arrived at their room to discover how creative these two are. The ice bucket was filled with chips, a can of nuts was at the ready, and Carole said the "cheese goop" was in the tin. We laughed ourselves silly. As you know, one should bring a gift to the hostess. Paul and I brought a bag of chocolate candy.

After our "happy hour," we called a cab and headed to the Fisherman's Wharf in Monterrey for dinner. Linda, our director, had said we could stroll the wharf and sample enough clam chowder to make a meal. We didn't understand what she meant until we arrived at the wharf.

Courtesy of Pixabay

This pier juts out over the water with beautiful views. Each restaurant on the boardwalk has a kettle of soup at their front door to entice diners. We tried several and decided on one. I can't remember the name of the place, but the meal was excellent and the atmosphere was romantic. I wish I'd taken pictures, but I didn't. We caught a cab and returned to the hotel. Richard and Carole live in New York and are accustomed to travel in taxis in NYC. Paul and I don't do that down here in Houston, so it was a cool experience. A night to remember with good friends.

The next day, July 21, 2017,we toured the spectacular 17 Mlle Drive on Day 8. 

We couldn't turn our heads fast enough from one side to the other for this stunning stretch of road. Ocean on one side, golf courses and unbelievable mansions on the other. This 17 mile stretch is owned by four men. Three were familiar names to me. Clint Eastwood, Arnold Palmer, and Peter Ueberroth.  Wikipedia


Pixabay

We stopped at the Lone Cypress Tree for photos.



 Pixabay
As you can see from the photo op, our day was on the cloudy side. The one of the golf course above came via courtesy of Pixabay. 




The clouds cleared a little when we stopped at the golf course.

We spent a few hours in Carmel by the Sea. We'd been to Carmel before and always wanted to return. We'd gone in August previously and the temperature was a delightful cool. Not so this day.


Paul and I trekked downhill to the beach from the city business center. Believe me, going back up required a few rest stops. It was too hot for jackets. We shed them quickly.

I love churches, missions and synagogues. This is the San Carolos Borromeo de Carmelo. Isn't it beautiful?

We rode the coach back to Monterrey for an afternoon at the Monterrey Aquarium and Cannery Row. The aquarium was an interesting feature. 

We sat outside for a drama portraying the establishment of Monterrey. Remember our new friends, Henry Piwowarek and Karen Kruger?


We saw them studying an event flyer and followed them to see where they were headed. The drama to follow was an interesting lesson in Monterrey history. 

Others in our group walked around Cannery Row. I noticed several of us grew tired and sat inside to gaze at ocean views. We were waiting for the farewell dinner for our tour at the aquarium. I liked the aquarium, but Paul and I wished we could have spent less time there.

Having said that, the dinner was outstanding. 


We said goodbye that night to Linda, our director and Arron, our amazing driver. Both good people.

The next day, we all said our farewells, but we had such a good time meeting new friends, and now, most of us stay in touch. This was a charismatic group. Paul and I felt blessed to be with them. How does that old nursery rhyme go?  Something like this.

Make new friends,
But keep the old,
One is sliver,
And the other is gold. 

I'm gonna post one more blog about this trip. I'm calling it "Incidentals." Right now, I'm preparing to leave this house. Harvey has given me cabin fever and I need to shop. Walmart, here I come! Come back for the incidentals. I have an interesting story to share.

Blessings to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas