Thursday, May 18, 2017

Fruit in Old Age


"The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God. They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, "The Lord is upright; He is my Rock and there is no wickedness in Him." -Psalm 92:12-15

I've always loved this verse. I want to be productive at every age, and the older I become, the more fruit I hope to produce.

Now to be honest here. I thought my "fruit" or ministry would be through teaching and writing.  

I never imagined the vineyard we've been given to cultivate. Hubby and I take care of our daughter who has dementia. She can't do a thing for herself. Caregiver at this age? For an adult child? That's not something I planned on. It's the opposite of the norm. Most children take on the responsibility for parents.

Fruit. I feel like I planted a banana tree, but a lemon one came up. Unexpected fruit. Unexpected pain.

The struggles and heartbreak never cease, but I'm thankful that we're healthy and able to do this. The time and physical commitment is enormous. So.....I'm hoping we stay fresh and green. Through the difficulties, may we continue to proclaim the Lord is good and He is our Rock.


Sugar turns sour lemons into a tasty treat. We're having a difficult day. Stressful. Painful. Where's the sugar?  I need to make lemonade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas