Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Gay's Days, Veteran's Day 2014

 
 
Veteran's Day
November 11, 2014
 
 
 
Mr. Thomas Moore
 
 
This dear man was a POW in Germany during WWII. Shot in the right arm, the Germans captured and imprisoned him for six months before the British Army made their way to the site and freed the men.
 
He won't talk much about it.
 
Moore goes weekly to the Veteran's Administration each Wednesday here in Houston. A group of Vets gather to share their nightmares. Yes, after all these years, Tom still has them.
 
For years, this man who will be ninety-three on January 1, 2015, drove himself across Houston freeways for the weekly meetings at the VA. Just this past year, a neighbor began taking him.
 
You'll find Tom joining us each Sunday in Bible Study and Worship. He drives himself these shorter distances, and he's faithful. For three days this past week, Tom was hospitalized, but on Sunday, he arrived in his usual, early manner.
 
Tom is an avid reader, and prizes my books. In my first book, Sarah: A Mission of Love, I named the hero Tom.  I had Moore in mind. My character isn't similar, but the fictional Tom is a good man, and so is the real Tom.  The Warrior Angel in my series is named Tomas. I wish I could honor this faithful man in other ways.
 
I asked Mr. Moore if I could interview him and write his story. He thought about it and then declined. So many of these men refuse to talk about their experiences. Moore says a lot of Vets feel that we, the general public, won't understand.
 
We appreciate veterans who've served and are serving our country, but I'm sending a special thanks to Mr. Moore.
 
And one to my Dad who resides in heaven. He never spoke about his experiences either.
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas