Monday, November 3, 2014

Gay's Days, November 3, 2014

Sunday, was a busy day.

Hubby had asked me two months ago to prepare a program on Fanny Crosby. I presented it in church yesterday.

Fanny Crosby was a brilliant, talented hymn writer. Born March 24, 1820, she died on February 12, 1915. During her ninety-five years, she wrote 9000 hymns. As a gifted musician, she played several instruments and also wrote melodies, but she felt her tunes were to complicated to be played.

Blindness failed to keep her from ministry in the slums of New York City. Fanny believed her lack of sight was a blessing and remained positive about it.  As an eight year old child, she wrote the following words.
Oh, what a happy child I am, 
Although I cannot see! 
I am resolved that in this world 
Contented I will be!
How many blessings I enjoy 
That other people don't! 
To weep or sigh because I'm blind, 
I cannot and I won't.
One of her songs, "Praise Him! Praise Him!" was written in 1869.  Just think, that was four years after Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox. She later heard that treason charges were dropped against former Confederate States president, Jefferson Davis.
To mention all major world events in her lifetime would take too long, but the news must have been an influence. The impact that electrified her life was her commitment to God. 
Many people dropped by her apartment to ask for lyrics to their melodies. More often than not, Fanny wrote them on the spot.
That fact amazes me. Most of us authors require a large amount of planning and plotting to produce a book. Crosby formed rhyming words instantly.
Here are the songs I featured yesterday. I told the stories behind the compositions.
To God be the Glory”                                                 
“Praise Him! Praise Him”                                                 
“Tell Me the Story of Jesus”                                             
“Rescue the Pershing”                                                      
“Blessed Assurance”                                                     
“I Am Thine” 
“Close to Thee”
“Near the Cross”                                                                
“Give Me Jesus”
"All the Way My Savior Leads Me”                                   
“He Hideth My Soul”                                                           
“Redeemed”                                                                      
“Saved by Grace”
"Pass Me Not"
 
The Bible tells us that our works follow us. Such is the case with Fanny Crosby                                       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PBG Insider: Gay N. Lewis Introduces her "Sarah" series

Sarah at Christmas